V 1.24, 7-Sept-2001
- Added the Hypervolume Shuffler plugin by Michael Abràmoff.
- Fixed a bug in Process/Filters/Convolve that caused the dialog box not to show after the first time. (t)
- Removed 20 item limit in GenericDialog class. (r)
- Updated AVI Writer plugin.
- Added the Stack Builder plugin by Nicolas Roggli.
- Updated the Plugins Control Panel plugin.
- Fixed a bug in the IJ.run() method used my the command recorder. (q)
- Added Embyos and Leaf images, contributed by Larry Reinking, to the File/Open Samples submenu. (q)
- Larry Reinking, Department of Biology, Millersville University, has written two great ImageJ handouts: ImageJ and Examples of Image Analysis Using ImageJ.
- ImageJ now opens uncompressed TIFF bitmap images. (p)
- ImageJ now opens the "hybrid" TIFF/DICOM files created by GE-Senographe 2000 D mammography systems. (p)
- Added the Batch Statistics plugin.
- The location of the plugins directory can now be specified from the command line. See the
Linux x86 installation notes
for an example. (n)
- File/Open can open PNG images if ImageJ is running on a Java 2 JVM.
- Improved Plugins/Utilities/Panel.
- Added a link to a new
that uses cubic spline interpolation to resize images. This plugin was written by Daniel Sage of the Biomedical Imaging Group at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
- Updated the AVI Writer plugin to use the frame rate specified in Image/Stacks/Animation Options (requires ImageJ v1.24l).
- Analyze/Analyze Particles has a new option to display selected particles in black on a white background. (k)
- Modified the Mouse Listener example plugin to display the mouse pressed event modifiers and to keep a list of images it is listening to.
- Image/Show Info displays the frame rate of imported NIH Image movies. (j)
- Non-image windows are listed in the Window menu. (j)
- Fixed bugs in the setImage(), setProcessor() and setStack() methods of the ImagePlus class. (j)
- Analyze/Tools/Save XY Coordinates works with all image types. (h)
- With non-rectangular selections, Image/Crop keeps the selection. (h)
- Image/Colors displays more colors. (h)
- Double-clicking on the straight line tool displays the Line Width dialog. (h)
- Analyze/Analyze Particles now works with stacks. (g)
- The location and size of the ImageJ window is now recorded in the preferences file (IJ_Prefs.txt). (g)
- Most commands that generate an image now include the name of the original image in the title. (g)
- Made the text tool easier to use. (g)
- On systems other than the Macintosh, changed the order of the buttons in the "Save Changes" dialog box. (g)
- Added the Help/ImageJ Web Site command that launches a browser and has it open the ImageJ home page. (g)
- Maja Kizic and Muris Borovac at Chalmers Lindholmen University College, Gothenburg,
Sweden have written a bachelor's thesis that evaluates the usability of ImageJ's user interface and offers suggestions on how it can be improved.
- Added ability to cut, copy and paste non-rectangular selections. (e)
- 32-bit stacks can now be converted to 16-bit stacks. (e)
- 8-bit stacks can now be converted to 16-bit stacks. (d)
- Fixed a bug in Process/Subtract Background that caused bluring of the background subtracted image. (d)
- Process/Image Calculator now resets the display range. (b)
- Process/Subtract Background now works with stacks and with images without inverted LUTs. (a)
- Added the Process/Math/Square, Process/Math/Square Root and Image/Rename commands. (a)
V 1.23, 22-June-2001
- ImageJ now opens uncompressed RGB DICOM images. (w)
- Thanks to Java2HTML, the ImageJ source code is now online in a colorized and browsable format.
- Improved the check done at startup for duplicate classes in the plugins folder. (v)
- Add the Process/Filter/Unsharp Mask command. (t)
- Added Gaussian Blur, Median, Mean, Minimum (grayscale erosion) and Maximum (grayscale dilation) filters to the Process/Filters submenu. (s)
- Added the List Opener plugin for opening images using a text file list. (q)
- Added the PlotWindow.addErrorBars() method and a plugin that demonstrates how to use it. (q)
- Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast and Image/Adjust/Threshold now work with locked, non-RGB images. For example, you can be running Image/Bencharks/Waves and adjusting brightness/contrast at the same time. (p)
- On Macintoshes, the ImageJ window is smaller and the menu bar no longer disappears when switching to none image windows. (p)
- The "Apply" option in Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast now works correctly with color LUTs. (o)
- Added a Mac OS X distribution.
- Deleted Image/Stacks/Save Slices as Files and replaced it with File/Save As/Image Sequence. (m)
- Changed the name of File/Import/All As Stack to File/Import/Image Sequence and added the ability to convert the images to 8-bits and/or open them half sized, resulting in stacks that use as little as 1/16th as much memory. (m)
- Fixed a bug in Analyze/Calibrate that caused the "Global" option to not work correctly. (m)
- Added the Edit/Options/Foreground Color and Edit/Options/Background Color commands. (m)
- The ImagePlus(String) constructor now works with both paths and URLs. (m)
- Added the Opener.OpenImage(String) method for opening images using a path. (m)
- Fixed a bug in the QuickTime Movie Opener plugin that could result in duplicate or missing frames.
- Added the AVI Writer plugin.
- The Clear, Clear Outside and Fill commands can now process entire stacks. (k)
- Commands that process entire stacks now work with selections. (k)
- Fixed several problems with the DOES_STACKS and SUPPORTS_MASKING options of the PlugInFilter interface. (k)
- Text fields in dialogs are now automatically selected when you click on the field or tab to it. (g)
- Plugins/Utilities/List Properties now displays the directory where ImageJ saves the preferences file (IJ_Prefs.txt) and the directory where it looks for plugins. (f)
- Fixed a binning problem with 16 and 32-bit histograms. (f)
- The "Save As" command in the Plugins editor now changes the class name to match the file name. (e)
- With 16 and 32-bit images, Process/Math/Min and Process/Math/Max now update the displayed image by doing the equavalent of clicking on "Reset" in Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast. (e)
- Analyze/Set Scale now displays the scale, which is dynamically updated as the measured and known distances are changed. (d)
- With stacks, Image/Duplicate can now gives you the option of duplicating the entire stack or just the current slice. (c)
- Added the Plugins/Record command (under construction). (a)
- Fixed several problems with histograms of calibrated 16-bit images (e.g. signed FITS images). (a)
V 1.22, 22-Mar-2001
- Upgraded bundled Windows JRE to 1.1.8_006, which fixes JIT crashes on Pentium 4 CPUs and a scrolling problem in popup menus.
- Added an icon for ImageJ.
- An error message is now displayed when, under Windows, the user attempts to maximize the ImageJ window, causing other windows to be hidden. (c)
- Analyze/Summarize now works with line and point measurements. (c)
- The "Auto" feature in Image/Adjust/Threshold now works more reliably. (b)
- Fixed a couple of problems with Analyze/Summarize. (b)
- Image/Adjust/Contrast/Brightness, Image/Adjust/Threshold, Edit/Paste Control and Edit/Options/Fonts now open only one window. If the window is already open, it is brought to the front. (a)
- On the Mac, the MRJ version is displayed by Plugins/Utilities/Show Java Properties. (a)
V 1.21, 27-Feb-2001
- Added the Process/Math/Min and Process/Math/Max commands. (v)
- The wand tool now works more reliable with Analyze/Gels. (v)
- Added the Image/Stacks/Convert Stack to Images command. (u)
- Hold down the alt key with Image/Stacks/Add Slice to add a slice in front of the current slice. (u)
- Analyze/Histogram now uses the number of decimal places defined in the Analyze/Set Measurements dialog. (t)
- Fixed several problems with histograms of floating-point images. (t)
- XY coordinates generated by the crosshair tool are now saved in the ImageJ ResultsTable. (s)
- Fixed several z-axis rotation bugs in Image/Stacks/3D Project. (s)
- Simplex fitting parameters used by the Analysis/Tools/Do Curve Fitting tool can now be adjusted thanks to an improved CurveFitter class contributed by Kieran Holland. (r)
- Image/Stacks/3D Project no longer requires thresholded stacks. Upper and lower transparency bounds are set in the dialog or are set automatically if the stack is thresholded. (r)
- Updated Image/Stacks/Convert Stack to RGB to work with 2-slice stacks (red and green). (r)
- Updated the RGB Stack Merge plugin to work with two stacks (red and green).
- Image/Stacks/Reslice now works with rectangular selections. A rectangular selection is equivalent to a line selection corresponding to the top edge of the rectangle and a "Slice Width" equal to the height of the rectangle. (q)
- Fixed a bug, introduced in v1.20, that caused reslicing of RGB stacks to fail. (q)
- Stacks can now be converted to RGB. (q)
- Added the Resize Canvas plugin contributed by Jeffrey Kuhn.
- "Center of Mass" now reverts to "Centroid" when all pixels are zero. (o)
- DICOM/ACR-NEMA reader improved. (o)
- Fixed bugs, introduced in v1.18, with 16-bit add, subtract and multiple in Process/Image Calculator. (n)
- Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast now correctly displays min/max of density calibrated images. (m)
- Improved support for signed DICOM images by using a calibration function to restore the orginal negative values. (m)
- For 16-bit and 32-bit images, File/Import/Raw (with "Open All" checked), File/Import/All As Stack and Image/Stacks/Convert Images to Stack now use the stack min/max to set the display range instead of the min/max of the first image. (l)
- ROI movement via arrow keys no longer stops one pixel early at right and bottom of image. (k)
- Analyze/Calibrate now works with images of type "8-bit Color". (j)
- Added the Plugins/New command. (i)
- File/Open now opens BMP, LUT and ZIP files with upper case file name extensions. (h)
- File/Open now opens text files. (h)
- Added a Paint Brush plugin contributed by Jeffrey Kuhn.
- Added the Stack Histogram plugin.
- For float and calibrated images, File/Save As/Text Image now uses the "Precision" setting in the Analyze/Set Measurements dialog. (f)
- Added Process/Morphology/Euclidian Distance Map and ../Ultimate Eroded Points commands. (c)
- Fixed a bug in Image/Stacks/Render that caused it to generate a blank image when "Total Rotation" was set to zero. (b)
- Maximum values less than zero are now calculated correctly. (a)
- Density calibration information in NIH Image TIFF files is now decoded. (a)
V 1.20, 20-Dec-2000
- Fixed a bug, introduced in ~v1.20n, in the Image/Type/RGB Stack and Image/Type/HSB Stack commands. (p)
- Added the "Bat Cochlea Volume" sample image, useful for testing the Image/Stacks/Render command and Michael Abramoff's VolumeJ plugin. This is a thresholded high resolution MRI dataset of the inner ear of a bat contributed by Art Keating of the University of North Carolina. (n)
- Added the Image/Stacks/Render command, a port of the NIH Image "Project" command written by Michael Castle of the University of Michigan Mental Health Research Institute. (n)
- Pressing the "=" key now starts/stops stack animation. (l)
- Replaced static conversion methods in ImageConverter with the ImageProcessor methods convertToByte(boolean), convertToFloat(), convertToRGB() and convertToShort(boolean). (l)
- Image/ColorTables/Invert LUT now works correctly with stacks. (l)
- Image/Stacks/Next Slice (">") and Image/Stacks/Previous Slice ("<") now skip 9 slices if the alt key is held down. (k)
- Fixed a bug in the ByteProcessor.getAutoThreshold method used by Image/Adjust/Threshold and by Process/Morphology/Threshold. (k)
- A rare problem with endless rapid switching between windows is now (hopefully) fixed. Use the Focus Bouncer plugin to test for this problem. (i)
- Class files in the plugins folder that have duplicates in subfolders are now automatically deleted. (h)
- The Plugins/Shortcuts/Install Plugin command can now install plugins in the Filters, Tools and Utilities submenus. (g)
- Moved the Do Curve Fitting, Fractal Box Count , Save XY Coordinates, Analyze Line Graph and Do Curve Fitting commands to the new Analyze/Tools submenu. (g)
- The cross hair tool can now display results in calibrated units. (g)
- Added the Process/Filters/Convolve command for performing convolutions using user-defined real kernels. (g)
- Thumbnail images contained in some TIFF files are no longer displayed. (d)
- The Image/Adjust/Threshold tool now works with 16-bit and 32-bit images. (b)
- Added an "Apply" button to the Plugins/Utilities/Do Curve Fitting window that creates a new 32-bit image by using the curve fit function to transform the active image. (b)
- Plugins in subfolders of the plugins folder are now installed in submenus of the Plugins menu. (a)
- Fixed a bug in the plugin class loader that prevented newly compiled plugins from replacing previously loaded versions. (a)
- Added a plugin, contributed by Cezar M. Tigaret, that uses a tabbed panel to provide access to plugins in subfolders of the main "plugins" folder.
V 1.19, 26-Oct-2000
- Added direct 16-bit to RGB and 32-bit to RGB conversions. (x)
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the color LUT not be saved when saving an 8-bit image in TIFF format. (x)
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused color LUTs to be reset to grayscale when converting to or from 16-bits or 32-bits. (x)
- Image/Show Info now displays density calibration information. (w)
- Fixed a bug in the cross hair tool that caused it to ignore foreground color changes. (v)
- Changed the name of the Hot Keys submenu to Shortcuts. (v)
- Added red, green and blue LUTs to the Image/Color Tables submenu. (u)
- Added a plugin that saves stacks as QuickTime movies.
- Fixed a bug in the TiffEncoder class that prevented other applications from being able to read 8-bit color tiff stacks created by ImageJ. (t)
- Added a "Scale When Converting" checkbox to Edit/Options/Miscelleaneous that allows auto-scaling of data type conversions to be disabled. (r)
- Added "Copy All", "Clear Results", "Summarize" and "Set Measurements" commands to the worksheet popup menu. (r)
- Added three example plugins (FOV Calculator,
Gear Math, and
contributed by Joshua Gulick.
- The calibration function, if there is one, is applied to the pixel data when converting 8-bit and 16-bit images to 32-bit floating-point. (q)
- Improved support for signed 16-bit FITS images by using a calibration function to restore the orginal negative values. (q)
- Added a "Precision" field to the Analyse/Set Measurements dialog for specifying the number of digits (0-8) displayed after the decimal point. (n)
- Added the addLabel(heading, label) method to the ResultsTable class. (n)
- Added an option to Analyze/Set Measurments to label rows in the results table with the file name and slice number. (l)
- Settings in Edit/Options/Profile Plot Options are now saved. (k)
- ImageJ now opens 8-bit color palette DICOM images. (j)
- Fixed a NullPointerException bug in File/Import/All As Stack that was triggered when the first file in the folder was not an ImageJ compatible image. (i)
- Added the Background Task plugin as an example of how to do time-consumming background processing.
- Added a plugin that generates 3D surface plots.
- The "Apply" button in the Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast tool will now apply the current brightness and contrast settings to the entire stack. (g)
- Fixed a bug, introduced in v1.18, in the Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast tool that limited "min" and "max" of 8-bit and RGB images to the range 0-255. (f)
- Fixed a NullPointerException bug in Analyze/Analyze Line Graph. (f)
- The "MRI Stack", "M51 Galaxy" and "Scala Media Stack" sample images now download as ZIP compressed TIFFs. (d)
- The Image/Adjust/Brightness/Contrast tool now works with animated stacks. (d)
- Upgraded File/Import/URL to work with TIFF files. (b)
- The ImagePlus.setSlice() method now updates the slice selection scrollbar. The new ClearOutside plugin takes advantage this feature. (b)
- Same-size images now open at the same magnification (1:1, 2:1, etc.), regardless of their screen position. (a)
V 1.18, 5-Sept-2000
- Worked around a bug that sometimes caused ImageJ to hang when quiting.
- Added the Plugins/Hot Keys/Remove command for uninstalling hot keys and plugins. (u)
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the "Y Max" and "Y Min" values in Edit/Options/Profile Plot Options to be reset. (t)
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused another ImageJ applet window to open when the user switched to another Web page and then returned to the ImageJ applet page. (s)
- Added the Plugins/Hot Keys/Create Hot Key command for assigning keyboard shortcuts to menu commands. (r)
- The title of the plot window produced by Image/Stacks/Plot Z-axis Profile now includes the name of the orginal stack and location of the selection. (r)
- All 16-bit images are now unsigned. Imported signed images with negative pixel values are converted to unsigned by adding 32768. Use masking to access values in pixel arrays (e.g. int i=pixels[i]&0xFFFF). (p)
- Added the Plugins/Hot Keys/Install Plugin command that enables plugins to be installed in the File/Import and File/Save As submenus. Assign a function key by entering "f1"-"f12" in the dialog's "Shortcut" field. (o)
- Fixed a Analyze/Analyze Particles bug that was introduced in 1.18b. (k)
- Fixed a bug that caused Analyze/Measure to set the image's "changed" flag. (k)
- Fixed a bug in GenericDialog that caused it to work incorrectly if the dialog displayed a checkbox or message followed by a numeric field or text field. (j)
- The "Global" option in Analyze/Set Scale and Analyze/Calibrate now works more reliably. (j)
- Images created with File/New no longer inherit the spatial and density calibration of the current image. (j)
- Fixed a bug in ParticleAnalyzer when it's called by a plugin and asked to calculate perimeters. (i)
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused multiple items in the Window menu to be checked. (i)
- With straight line selections, Image/Show Info now displays the starting and ending coordinates. (e)
- Analyze/Plot Profile now produces the expected reversed results when the same line is drawn in different directions. (e)
- File/Import/Raw settings are now saved in IJ_Prefs.txt. (e)
- Edit/Fill, Edit/Draw and Edit/Clear now work with 16-bit and float images that have min=max=0. (b)
- The ImageProcessor.drawString() method now works with 16-bit and float images. (b)
- Newly created unsigned 16-bit images are now initialized to 0 instead of 32768. (b)
- To prevent annoying pauses, images loaded from a URL, such as those in the File/Sample Images submenu, are now converted to an ImageProcessor before being displayed. (a)
V 1.17, 22-June-2000
- The Object Tracker plugin now allows the min/max object size to be specified.
- Clicking "Apply" in the Image/Adjust/Threshold when the image is in the "B&W" mode no longer displays a dialog. (y)
- Replaced Plugins/IP Demo with Plugins/Panel, a window with buttons for executing plugins in the plugins folder. (y)
- Analyze/Analyze Line Graph now works with thresholded images. (y)
- Added the Batch Converter plugin for converting a folder of images to another format.
- Added the Display Updater plugin that sets an image's min and max displayed value. (w)
- Added a constructor to GenericDialog that doesn't require a parent frame. (w)
- Fixed a spatial calibration bug in Image/Adjust/Size . (w)
- Added the "Fluorescent Cells" sample image and removed "Peppers"
- Added the FFT plugin.
- Edit/Invert now works with 16-bit unsigned images. (t)
- Added the IJ.run() method so plugins and macro interpreters (e.g. BeanShell) can more easily run ImageJ menu commands. This method runs in the current thread and does not return until the command has finished. (s)
- Added the Text Demo plugin that demonstrates how plugins can add text to images. (s)
- Fixed a bug in ImageProcessor.drawString() that caused text larger than 12-points to not be displayed correctly. (s)
- The fitted line in Analyze/Fractals/Box Count is now displayed correctly. (r)
- Worked around a problem opening Spot Camera TIFF files. (r)
- Added the Plugins/Edit command for editing, compiling and running plugins. Requires a Java Virtual Machine(JVM) that includes the javac compiler, such as one of the JDKs from Sun or Apple's MRJ plus the Java Software Development Kit. Note that the JRE 1.1.8 distributed with the Windows version of ImageJ does not include javac. When using JDK 1.2 or JDK 1.3, the tools.jar file must be in the classpath. To include it, run ImageJ using a command something like
java -cp ij.jar;C:\jdk1.3\lib\tools.jar ij.ImageJ (o)
- All measurements are now stored in a ResultsTable that is available to plugins using Analyzer.getResultsTable().
- Added a plugin that draws arrows and removed the Plugs/Draw Arrow command. (o)
- Added a plugin that does convolutions on real images using user-defined kernels. (j)
- Added the Plugins/Compile and Run command. Like Plugins/Edit, it requires a JVM that inludes the javac compiler. (j)
- The plugins folder no longer needs to be in the classpath since plugins are now loaded using a custom class loader. (j)
- Spatial (e.g. pixels/mm) and density calibration data are now saved with TIFF images. (j)
- Analyze/Analyze Particles is now up to 27 times faster! (i)
- Updated the Image/Benchmarks/Particles benchmark results. (i)
- Added a plugin that illustrates how to extend ImageJ's Particle Analyzer. (g)
- The Analyze/Line Analyzer command now creates plots whose size is based on the size of the selection, not on the size of the curve being digitized. (f)
- Added the Analyze/Calibrate command for calibrating 8-bit images to density standards. (e)
- Added a "Standard Deviation" option to Image/Stacks/ZProject. (e)
V 1.16, 8-May-2000
- Fixed a 1.15 bug that caused incorrect measurements of non-rectangular areas. (f)
- Added a method that displays an error message and returns true if the ImageJ version is less than the one specified in the argument. For example, if (IJ.versionLessThan("1.16c")) return. (c)
- Analyze/Fractals/Save XY Coordinates now saves the XY coordinates and pixel value of all non-background pixels . (b)
- With 8-bit stacks, Image/Stacks/Convert Stack to RGB now displays the RGB image in a new window. (a)
- Fixed a bug that caused status bar cursor y-coordinates to be incorrect when the Pixel Aspect Ratio in Analyze/Set Scale was not equal to 1.0. (a)
- Fixed a bug in Image/Stacks/Delete Slice that caused the slice selector to be positioned incorrectly. (a)
V 1.15, 27-April-2000
- Fixed a bug in Image/Stacks/Delete Slice that resulted in a blank window title.
- On systems with JDK 1.2 or JDK 1.3 installed, you can now run ImageJ by double clicking on the ij.jar file. On Windows NT/2000, this method avoids the annoying DOS window.
- The ij.jar file is now compressed, reducing its size from 778K to 432K.
- The Primes plugin provides an example of how to process mouse moved interrupts. (z)
- All Analyze/Measure results now use spatial calibration defined using Analyze/Set Scale. (v)
- Analyze/Analyze Particles summary results are now reported in calibrated units such as mm^2. (v)
- Analyze/Analyze Line Graph now plots and saves coordinate data using calibrated units. (v)
- Fixed a bug that caused Analyze/Analyze Line Graph to corrupt the source image. (v)
- Fixed a bug that caused File/Open to not "see" some DICOM files. (v)
- Image/Stacks/Plot Z-axis Profile now displays all measurements specified in Analyze/Set Measurements.
- Added a plugin that reverses the order of the slices in a stack.
- Added a "Global" option to Analyze/Set Scale that causes all images to use the same spatial calibration.
- Double-clicking on the line tool displays the Analyze/Set Scale dialog.
- Double-clicking on the freehand outlining tool displays the Analyze/Set Measurements dialog.
- Analyze/Gels/Label Peaks now labels each peak with its area as a percent of the total area.
- Fixed a bug in Analyze/Gels that generated extra measurements when using the shift key shortcut to scroll.
- When it can't recognize the header format, File/Open now displays a dialog listing the supported image types (TIFF, JPEG, GIF, BMP, DICOM, FITS, PGM, ZIP or LUT). (m)
- When processing stacks, Image/Adjust/Size, Image/Crop and Image/Rotate/* are now better at showing progress. (l)
- Double-clicking on dropper tool displays the "Colors" window but doesn't switch tools. (k)
- The Image/Adjust/Threshold "Apply" option is now undoable. (h)
- The dropper in the toolbar is now outlined with a box drawn in the background color. (g)
- Alt-click in the Image/Colors window to set the background color. (g)
- "Apply" in Image/Adjust/Threshold now displays a dialog with options for setting thresholded pixels to the foreground color and non-thresholded pixels to the background color. (g)
- "Min & Max", "Centroid" and "Center of Mass" calculations now ignore non-thresholded pixels if "Limit to Threshold" is checked in Analyze/set Measurements. (g)
- Added File/Save As/ZIP for saving an image in TIFF format within a compressed ZIP archive and extended File/Open to read files created by this command. (f)
- Changed the labels in Process/Image Calculator to "Image1" and "Image2". For all operators, clicking "OK" now calculates image1=image1<op>image2. If "Create New Window" is checked, a new window is opened to store the result and "image1" is left unchanged. (f)
- Fixed a bug in Process/Image Calculator that sometimes caused the first stack slice to not be processed. (d)
- Multi-image tiff files with images that are not all the same size and type now open in separate windows. (c)
- Fixed a bug that caused pasting of images with Edit/Paste Control modes other than "Copy" to fail. (b)
- Changed the definition of "difference" in Process/Image Calculator from dst=(src-dst)/2+128 to dst=abs(src-dst). (b)
- Added a "Create New Window" option to Process/Image Calculator. (b)
- The "Apply" button in Image/Adjust/Threshold now works with stacks. (a)
V 1.14, 23-Feb-00
- Fixed a v1.13 bug that caused Analyze/Analyze Particles to fail when "Perimeter" was checked in Analyze/Set Measurements . (c)
- Edit/Cut now fills with the same background color as Edit/Clear. The only way currently to change the background color is by editing the value of "bcolor" in IJ_Prefs.txt. (a)
- Added a "Bounding Rectangle" option to Analyze/Set Measurements. When this option is checked, the bounding rectangle of the selection is displayed using the headings "BX", "BY", "Width" and "Height". (a)
V 1.13, 18-Feb-00
- With 16-bit and real images, Edit/Fill and Edit/Clear now fill with zero if the foreground or background color respectively is black, the images minimum pixel value is not less than zero and the LUT is not inverted. The background color can be set to black by changing the value of "bcolor" in IJ_Prefs.txt to #000000. (w)
- Added keyboard shortcut support for plugins. For examples, look at the entries for File/Open Samples/Blobs, Plugins/IP Demo and Plugins/Draw Arrow in
IJ_Props.txt. Note: you don't have to hold down the control key to use menu shortcuts. (u)
- Moved Image/Adjust Contrast and Image/Adjust Threshold to the new Image/Adjust submenu. (u)
- Fixed a bug that caused the middle point in lines generated by Analyze/Plot Profile and Image/Stacks/Reslice to be doubled. (t)
- Added to the Analyze/Analyze Particles dialog box, a field for setting the number of bins used in size distribution histograms, and "Display Summary", "Exclude Edge Particles" and "Clear Worksheet" check boxes. (t)
- Added to Edit/Options/Miscellaneous, a field for setting the number of bins used in histograms of 32-bit real images. (s)
- Edit/Draw and the crosshair tool now work with 16-bit and real images as long as the image's maximum pixel value is not equal to its minimum. (r)
- Double-click on the eyedropper tool to display the "Colors" window. (q)
- Added the crosshair tool for counting, measuring and marking points. Marks are drawn in the foreground color. Double-click on the crosshair tool to change the mark size. To not leave a mark, set the size to zero. (p)
- Analyze/Fractals/Box Count now plots log count vs. log box size and calculates the fractal dimension. (p)
- Added the Plugins/Do Curve Fitting command for fitting functions to data. (j)
- The Image/Stacks/Save Slices as Files dialog now allows the user to specify the file name prefix and number of digits. (h)
- Added a plugin for tracking one or two objects through a stack. (c)
- File/Import/All as Stack now uses a progress bar and no longer displays the file names in the status bar. (b)
- Fixed a v1.12 bug that caused the ImageJ applet to fail to load when using the Netscape browser. (a)
V 1.12, 18-Jan-00
- Changed the name of the File/Open submenu to File/Open Samples. (z2)
- Changed the name of the File/Acquire submenu to File/Import. (z1)
- Removed DICOM, BMP and FITS from the File/Acquire submenu. These file types can be opened using the File/Open command. (z1)
- Keyboard focus in the File/Acquire/Raw dialog is now set to the first numeric field. (z1)
- Changed the name of the ij.properties file to
- User preferences are now saved in a text file named "IJ_Prefs.txt". This file is saved in the Preferences folder on the Mac, in the user's home directory on Unix, and in the ImageJ folder on Windows. The drawing color, roi color, default directory, jpeg quality and measurement options are currently saved. Two preferences that cannot be set in ImageJ, background color and size distribution bins, can be changed by editing IJ_Prefs.txt. (v)
- Removed the double quotes from the Image/Show Info text window's title bar. These quotes sometimes caused the Save As command in the text window popup menu to fail. (t)
- Added the "Limit to Threshold" checkbox to Analyze/Set Measurements. When this option is checked, only thresholded pixels are included in measurement calculations. (s)
- Added a link to Michael Abrˆmoff's volume rendering plugin.
- Fixed several text window scrolling and selection problems. (r)
- Process/Math/Gamma and Process/Math/Log now work correctly with 16 and 32-bit images. (n)
- The wand tool now works with thresholded images. (m)
- Image/Show Info now displays the threshold levels. (k)
- Fixed a bug in Process/Math that occured when canceling an operation on a stack. (k)
- Fixed a bug that caused problems when changing the data type of an image being manipulated by the Image/Adjust Contrast tool. (k)
- Lowered the default position of the ImageJ window by 32 pixels to avoid the MS Office task bar. (i)
- Updated Analyze/Analyze Particles to use the upper and lower threshold levels defined by the Image/Adjust Threshold and Image/Adjust Contrast tools. (h)
- Added the Image/Adjust Threshold tool for interactively separating features of interest from background. This is similar to "density slicing" in NIH Image. As a shortcut, type shift-T to activate this tool. This tool currently only works with 8-bit images. (h)
- In addition to TIFF, JPEG, GIF, DICOM, and FITS, File/Open and File/Acquire/All as Stack also now work with ACR/NEMA files. (g)
- File/Acquire/All as Stack and Image/Stacks/Save Slices as Files work more reliably when free memory is low. (f)
- Out of Memory messages should be less likely when processing stacks with Smooth, Sharpen or Find Edges. (f)
- The progress bar is now displayed correctly after the ImageJ window is resized or uncovered. (d)
- The x-axis labeling in profile plots. (d)
- Worked around a v1.10 and v1.11 flickering problem with someJVM's when Analyze/Analyze Particles was displaying a large number of measurements in the ImageJ window. (c)
- Worked around a scroll bar problem in v1.10 and v1.11 that showed up when running on the Mac and on some versions of the Microsoft JVM. (b)
- High filter processing rates are now reported in the status bar in millions of pixels per second. (b)
V 1.11, 9-Dec-99
- Added y-axis labels to profile plots. (z)
- Fixed several bugs in Image/Stacks/ZProject. (w)
- Type converted images are marked as changed. (v)
- The window title bar is updated when an image is saved under a new name. (v)
- Pressing Enter (or Return) is now equivalent to clicking "OK" in most ImageJ dialog boxes. (u)
- Replaced the "Save..." button in the Analyze/Histogram window with "List", which lists the histogram values in the ImageJ window. (u)
- Image/Duplicate now displays a dialog allowing the title of the new window to be specified. Hold the alt key down to skip the dialog. (t)
- Added the Edit/Options/Divide by Zero command for specifying the value used by the Image Calculator when it detects divide by zero with 32-bit real images. (t)
- Updated the Keyboard Shortcuts Table.
- Added the Window/ImageJ command (shortcut=enter) for bringing the ImageJ window to the front. (s)
- Added the Analyze/Analyze Line Graph command for extracting coordinate data from scanned line graphs. It is similar to NIH Image's
Line Plot -> Data
- Added a constructor to the PlotWindow class for generating XY line graphs. See ij/plugin/filter/LineGraphAnalyzer for an example. (r)
- With 32-bit float images, Analyze/Image Calculator now detects divide by zero and sets the result to Float.MAX_VALUE (3.4e38). (q)
- Process/Image Calculator will now optionally process entire stacks if the source and destination are stacks with the same number of slices or the source is a single image and the destination is a stack. (p)
- Conversion of 8-bit and 16-bit stacks to 32-bits is now supported. (p)
- For RGB images, Analyze/Histogram displays a luminance histogram instead of a histogram all red, green and blue values. This is the way it worked prior to v1.07. (n)
- Added a "List" button to profile plot windows that displays the XY coordinates in the ImageJ window. (n)
- Added the Image/Stacks/Plot Z-axis Profile command for plotting the ROI means of the slices in a stack. (m)
- Fixed a bug that, when quiting ImageJ, caused "cancel" in the save changes dialog for stacks to be ignored. (m)
- Fixed a bug in v1.10 that sometimes caused histogram min and max to be set to zero. (m)
- Fixed a bug, introduced in v1.07, that caused area measurements of RGB images to be three times too large. (m)
- Fixed a problem with text not being displayed in Histogram windows on Windows NT. (j)
- In Analyze/Set Scale, in addition to setting "Unit of Measurement" to "pixel" or "Distance in Pixels" to 0, you can now also disable spatial calibration by clearing the "Unit of Measurement" field.
- Added Edit/Clear Outside command for erasing everything outside the ROI. (f)
- Analyze/Gels/Label Peaks now displays in the ImageJ window the band sizes as a percentage of the size of the largest band. (e)
- Added an image autocorrelation plugin by Markus Hasselblatt.
- DICOM images, without a .dcm extension, and FITs images can now be opened using File/Open and File/Acquire/All As Stack. (c)
- Image/Show Info now displays the DICOM tags. (c)
- The "Apply" option in Image/Adjust Contrast, when working with a stack, now allows the user to choose between applying the LUT to the current slice or to the entire stack. (c)
- Fixed a v1.10 text selection problem. (c)
- Added YesNoCancelDialog class. (c)
V 1.10, 8-Nov-99
- The histogram display in the Image/Adjust Contrast tool is now double buffered to prevent flicker. (u)
- Added a "Thresh" (threshold) button to the Image/Adjust Contrast tool. Use the brightness slider to adjust the threshold. Use the slider's arrows to make fine adjustments. (t)
- Extended the
DicomViewer sample program to display the header information. Chris Rorden's
DICOM page is a good place to get more information about the DICOM standard.
- The DICOM reader now reads files with "??" VRs. (s)
- Fixed a bug that caused RGB stacks to be read incorrectly. (q)
- Replaced (again!) the text panel in the ImageJ window with one based on the hGRID class at
The new text panel features unlimited size, resizable columns and a popup menu for saving to a file or copying to the system clipboard. Right-click (command-click on the Mac) in the text panel to access this menu. Measurement results can also be copied to the clipboard using Edit/Copy or control-C (command-C on the Mac). Rows to be copied must first be selected using the mouse or the popup menu. Shift-click to extend a selection. The number of lines copied to the clipboard is displayed in the status bar. (p)
- Added the File/Save As/Measurements command for saving measurement results to a tab-delimited text file. (p)
- The arrow keys, with the alt key held down, now move the end of line selections. (p)
- Added center of mass measurement option that works with 8-bit and 16-bit images. The center of mass is the pixel value weighted average of all the x and y coordinates in the selection. (i)
- Added centroid measurement option. The centroid is calculated by averaging the x and y coordinates of all of the pixels in the selection. (h)
- Added perimeter measurement option. Perimeter is calculated using the same algorithm as NIH Image, where edge pixels are counted as one and corner pixels as square root of two. (h)
- Changed the name of Image/Get Info to Show Info. (h)
- Show Info now displays DICOM and FITS header information. (h)
- Multi-image DICOM files now open as a stack. (h)
- Analyze Particles can now be canceled using the esc key. (h)
- Fixed a bug in Analyze Particles that caused it to fail with images containing thousands of particles. (h)
- Added the Particles sample image, contributed by Katriona Lightbody. This 2000x1000 binary image containing 5097 particles is useful for stress testing and benchmarking Analyze Particles. (h)
V 1.09, 19-Oct-99
- Replaced the text panel in the ImageJ window with an improved version based on the Viewer class by
Rene Grothmann. This version has no arbitrary size limit, supports color, and features a popup menu for saving the contents of the panel to a file or to the system clipboard. Right-click (command-click on the Mac) to access this menu.
- Moving small (less than 25x25) rectangular ROIs causes the pixel value to be displayed in the status bar. Can be used, in conjunction with the arrow keys, to inspect individual pixels.
- Added Analyze/Set Measurements to specify the values to be calculated and recorded by Analyze/Measure.
- Added a progress bar to File/Save As Jpeg.
- Default Jpeg compression quality increased from 50 to 75.
- Newly opened grayscale Jpegs are automatically converted to 8-bits.
- Added nine new sample images to the File/Open submenu.
- Added File/Aquire/As Text File for opening text files in read-only mode.
- Image/Rotate now use bilinear interpolation and rotates entire stacks.
- The Process/Math command was converted to a submenu.
- Image/Type now supports 16-bit to 32-bit and 32-bit to 16-bit conversions.
- Added a plugin that does MRI t2 calculations (s2 = k/ln(s1/s2)) on two images or stacks.
- Added plugins that load and save images in
Analyze, PNG, Pict, SPE, AHF and other formats.
- Process/Math/Log now works correctly for float images.
- ImagePlus.getProperties() now automatically constructs a property object instead of returning null.
- Added the TextWindow class that plugins (e.g. ij/plugin/System_Properties.java) can use to display text in a window.
- Added ImagePlus.startTiming() method so filter plugins (e.g. ij/plugin/filter/Rotator.java) can avoid having dialog open times including in the displayed processing time.
- Added OpenFile and SaveFile classes that plugins can use for opening and saving images. See the I/O plugins on the plugins page for examples.
- Added the ImagePlus.setProperty(String,Object) method.
V 1.08, 21-Sept-99
- Added the Image/Stacks/Reslice and Image/Stacks/ZProject commands. Descriptions of these commands are in the
They were contributed by
Patrick Kelly and Harvey Karten of the University of California, San Diego.
- Added a bilinear interpolation option to the Image/Scale and Image/Transformations/Resize commands.
- Added the Process/Repeat Command command for repeating the previous command. Note that the Undo and Close are ignored.
- Added a batch file to the Windows distribution for running ImageJ using Microsoft'sJava. It contains the single command "jview /cp ij.jar;plugins ij.ImageJ".
- Added the ImageProcessor.setInterpolate(boolean) method.
- Added the ImagePlus.show(String) method for displaying an image in a window with a message in the status bar. The ZProject and Reslice commands use this method to display the processing time.
- Fixed a rounding bug that caused Image/Scale and Image/Transformations/Resize to work incorrectly along the edge of images with an odd width or odd height.
V 1.07, 3-Aug-99
- File/Save As/Tiff and File/Save As/Raw Data now support RGB and float stacks.
- Added a plugin (ftp://codon.nih.gov/pub/image-j/plugins/RGB_Stack_Merge.java) for merging three 8-bit stacks into one RGB stack.
- Added support for 8-bit indexed color to grayscale stack conversions.
- Added the Image/Stacks/Make Montage command for creating a composite image from the slices in a stack.
- Released a Mac 1.07 version that adds the File/Acquire/Video command for capturing images from QuickTime compatible video sources. Requires QuickTime for Java, a QuickTime 4.0 custom install. QT 4.0 is not required, but you have to use the QT 4.0 installer to install QT for Java (do a custom install).
- Process/Equalize now works much better thanks to an improved histogram equalization algorithm contributed by Richard Kirk that uses the square root of the histogram values. Process/Equalize also now works with 16-bit images. Hold down the alt key use the standard histogram equalization algorithm.
- Removed the Process/Enhance Contrast command. As a substitute, use Process/Equalize or the "Auto" button in the Image/Adjust Contrast window. The "Auto" button has the advantage of not altering the pixel values except for RGB images.
- Added Process/Repeat, which repeats the previous command.
- File/New can now create unsigned 16-bit images.
- For RGB images, Analyze/Histogram now displays the histogram of all red, green and blue values. Previously it displayed a luminance histogram.
- Clicking on an image's close box now invokes the File/Close command, which runs as a separate thread, instead of closing the image in the event queue thread. This should make exceptions and thread deadlocks less likely.
- Changed the title of the IJ.error() dialog from "Error" to "ImageJ".
- Changed the argument of the ImageProcessor.applyTable method from byte to int so it can be used with 16-bit images.
- The ImageWriter class now writes short and float images using little-endian byte order if FileInfo.intelByteOrder is set true.
- For stacks, ImagePlus.getFileInfo() now sets FileInfo.pixels to an array of images.
- The ImageProcessor.getHistogram method now works with 16-bit images.
- Added IJ.altKeyDown method for determining if the alt key is down.
- Added the ImageProcessor.drawString method for drawing text on images. Use moveTo(x,y) to specify the position and getStringWidth() to determine how many pixels will be required to draw the text.
- Fixed a recently introduced bug that caused File/Acquire/Raw to not work with RGB images.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the the slice selector to become invalid when converting a stack to a different data type.
V 1.06, 2-July-99
- Plugins in the plugins folder are no longer loaded using a custom class loader. Consequently, the plugins folder must be in the classpath. This change fixes a bug that caused static variables in plugins to be reset.
V 1.05, 1-July-99
- The Image/Stacks/Convert Stack to RGB command now works with 16-bit stacks.
- Conversion of 16-bit stacks, real stacks and RGB stacks to 8-bit grayscale is now supported.
- Added "Add Slice", "Delete Slice" and "Convert Images to Stack" commands to the Image/Stacks submenu.
- Added the File/Acquire/Text command for opening tab-delimited text files as real images.
- Values displayed in histograms of real images are now better formatted.
- Analyze/Gels/Plot Lanes now displays large plots in an enlarged window zoomed 1:1.
- Added the Analyze/Gels/Label Peaks command.
- The Gel Analyzer now converts pixel values to uncalibrated OD before plotting the lanes. It also adds half the perimeter to the peak area to compensate for the area under the boundary line.
- A 3-point running average is now used to measure freehand line lengths.
- ImageJ now looks for the plugins folder in the folder containing ij.properties. Previous versions expected it to be in "user.dir".
- Added the Image/Color Tables/Invert LUT command for inverting the lookup table. Inverted LUTs display zero pixels as white instead of black. Unlike Edit/Invert, Invert Lut does not alter the pixel data.
- Roi outlines are no longer limited to 5000 points.
- Edit/Draw now works with oval selections.
- The display is now updated correctly after using Edit/Draw with a line width greater than one.
- Added the createImagePlus method to ImagePlus for creating new ImagePlus objects that have the attributes, such as spatial scale, of the parent.
- Added the hide method to ImagePlus. Use hide() to close an ImagePlus' window and show() to open it.
- Added constructors to ShortProcessor and FloatProcessor for creating blank images. The ShortProcessor constructor has a boolean argument used to specify signed or unsigned.
- Added the invertLut method to ImageProcessor. Inverted Luts display zero pixels as white.
- Image/Stacks/Convert Stack to RGB is working again (It broke in v1.03).
- The File/Acquire/LUT command is working again.
- Fixed a bug that caused brightness and contrast modifications to be lost after using Image/Crop, Image/Duplicate or Image/Transformations/Resize on a 16-bit or 32-bit image or stack.
- Fixed a bug that caused spatial calibration to be lost after using Image/Crop or Image/Transformations/Resize.
- Fixed a bug that caused the lineTo() method of ImageProcessor to not draw the end pixel.
V 1.04, 13-May-99
- Added a "Difference" operator (dst = (dst-src)/2+128) to the Process/Image Calculator and Edit/Paste Control.
- Fixed a bug, introduces in v1.02, that caused profile plots of straight line selections to be incorrect.
- Fixed a bug that caused the "Subtract" operator in Process/Image Calculator and Edit/Paste Control to produce incorrect results.
V 1.03, 6-May-99
- Added a flush() method to the ImagePlus class that sets the pixel arrays to null, making it more likely that the garbage collector will reclaim memory when images are closed.
- The "Apply" button in the contrast/brightness control now processes every slice in a stack, with the exception of RGB and HSB stacks.
- The standalone Windows version now comes as a self-extracting zip archive and includes JRE 1.1.8.
- Worked around a null cursor bug with JDK 1.1.8.
- Fixed a bug, introduced in V1.02, that caused conversions to RGB and HSB stacks to fail.
- Fixed a Windows NT specific bug that caused values typed in the File/Acquire/Raw dialog to be read incorrectly.
V 1.02, 4-May-99
- Added the Acquire/Twain command for acquiring images from TWAIN sources (scanners, digital cameras, frame grabbers). Requires that the "twain.jar" and "JavaTwain32.dll" files from the Java Twain Package at http://internet.sk/gnome/ be moved to the ImageJ folder.
- Added the Process/Morphology submenu with Erode, Dilate, Open, Close, Outline and Skeletonize commands.
- Added the Process/Shadows submenu with commands for producing shadow effects. Includes a nifty demo that shows off the speed of the 3x3 convolution routine contributed by Glynne Casteel.
- Added the Process/Noise submenu, moved to it the "Add Noise" and Despeckle commands, and added "More Noise" and "Salt and Pepper" commands.
- Added the Save As/Text command for saving images as tab-delimited text files.
- 8-bit images can now be pasted into RGB images.
- Profile plots of irregular line selections are now supported.
- The Smooth and Sharpen commands now work with 32-bit floating-point images.
- Fixed several bugs relating to 16-bit unsigned images.
- Fixed a Windows NT specific bug that caused values typed in the Image/Scale dialog to be read incorrectly.
V 1.01, 25-March-99
- Plug-ins placed in a folder named "plugins" are now automatically installed in the PlugIns menu. The folder distributed with ImageJ contains source code for two example plug-ins.
- The applet version of ImageJ now downloads as a JAR (Java ARchive) file. It is now slower to start up but the annoying class file downloading delays are gone.
- Added the Image>Crop command, which works with all data types and with stacks. Note that there is no Undo available for operations on stacks.
- Dialog boxes are now centered on the screen.
- The Rotate Right, Rotate Left and Resize commands now work with 16-bit and 32-bit grayscale images, and with stacks.
- The Cut, Copy, Paste and Enhance Contrast commands now work with 16-bit and 32-bit grayscale images.
- Added the "3-3-2 RGB" LUT to the Image>Color Tables sub-menu. This palette uses 3-bits for red, 3-bits for green, and 2-bits for blue.
- Moved the benchmark commands from the PlugIns menu to the Image>Benchmarks sub-menu.
- Added methods to the FileSaver class for saving as tiff, gif, jpeg or raw using a file path.
- Removed the RGBA and HSB public constants from the ImagePlus class.
- Added isRGBA() and isHSB() methods to the ImageStack class.
- Fixed a bug with the "Pixel Aspect Ratio" option in the Analyze>Set Scale dialog.
- Fixed a masking bug that caused operations on non-rectangular ROIs to fail on some UNIX systems.
V 0.99, 2-March-99
- Added the Image>Stack>Save Slices as Files command for saving a stack as separate tiff, gif, jpeg or raw files.
- On the Macintosh, the menu bar no longer disappears when image windows are active.
- Added the "Spectrum" LUT to the Image>Color Tables sub-menu.
- Added the Image>Stacks:Convert Stack to RGB command for converting a 3 or 4-slice stack to a color image.
- The File>Acquire>All as Stack command now sorts the file list to guarantee that images are loaded into the stack in alphabetical order.
- The Image>Scale and Image>Transformations>Resize commands now work with 16-bit images.
- Fixed a problem with the 16-bit version Process>Sharpen.
V 0.98, 2-February-99
- The Image>Colors window no longer requires a network connection and colors can be "picked up" without switching to the eyedropper tool.
- The spatial scale in TIFF and DICOM headers is now used.
- Added the "Analyze>Set Scale" command for setting the spatial scale.
- Added the "Image>Stacks>Set Speed" command for changing the stack animation speed. The default is 10 fps.
- When opening a TIFF file, and ImageJ is in debug mode, the TIFF tags are dumped to the ImageJ window.
- Added the "File>Page Setup" dialog for specifying the printer scaling (5-500%) and whether or not the image is centered on the page, has a border and/or a title.
- Images are now printed centered, with a border, and are scaled to fit the page.
- Added the Image>Color Tables sub-menu for applying color lookup tables to grayscale images to produce false-color images. If no image is open, a 256x32 ramp image is created to display the color table.
- Added an "Open All" option to the Import dialog.
- Added the "File>Acquire>Open All As Stack" command for opening all the image files in a folder as a stack. The images must all be the same size and type (8-bit, 16-bit or RGB). The images can be in tiff, gif, jpeg or bmp format.
- When closing a stack, the references to the raster data are set to null so the memory used by the stack is more likely to be reclaimed.
- The Adjust Contrast plug-in no longer prevents closed images from being garbage collected.
- The IP Demo plug-in now runs commands in a separate thread and no longer prevents closed images from being garbage collected.
- Changed the name of the getTitle method in ImageStack to getSliceLabel.
- Added the setColorModel methed to the ImageProcessor class.
- Changed the name of the Info class to IJ.
- Added the static IJ.runPlugIn method that runs a plug-in and returns a reference to it.
- Changed the name of the getImageJ method in IJ to getInstance.
- Changed the name of the getLUT method in ImagePlus to createLUT.
- Edit>Draw now works with rectangular ROIs created by a paste operation.
- Fixed a thread synchronization bug that could sometimes cause ImageJ to hang.
- Fixed a bug that caused the File>Quit command to sometimes fail when running ImageJ under JDK 1.2.
V 0.97, 11-December-98
- Updated the "Waves" benchmark results for the released version of JDK 1.2. Vote for bug 4185726 if you want to see image display speeded up in JDK 1.2.
- Added a "16-bit Unsigned" option to the File/Acquire/Raw dialog. Selecting this option causes ImageJ to subtract 32768 from each pixel value before creating a ShortProcessor to contain the image. Methods in ShortProcessor that return pixel values (getPixelValue, getMin, getMax, etc.) then add back the 32768.
- The new MemoryMonitor plug-in continuously plots ImageJ's memory utilization. Hold down the alt/option key to use a 640x480 window and display the frame rate, simulating video acquisition. Click on the status bar in the ImageJ window to force the JVM to do garbage collection.
- The class files for the stand alone Windows version are now packaged as a JAR file.
- The stand alone Windows version no longer uses a minimized console window.
- Upgraded the Java runtime bundled with the stand alone Windows version to JRE 1.1.7B, which seems to have fixed a problem with exporting text to the system clipboard.
- The "fps" display in the "Waves" plug-in now works with zoomed images.
- The List System Properties plug-in now displays the name of the JIT compiler (java.compiler).
- The "Test Display Speed" plug-in can now be aborted by pressing the esc key.
- Plug-in can now have "about boxes". See the source for the Invert, MemoryMonitor or Waves plug-ins for examples.
- The Plot Profile command, for rectangular selections, now averages horizontally if the alt/option key is down.
- Added the Edit/Options/Profile Plot Options command for fixing the y-axis scale in profile plots.
- The "Memory: xxxxK" message shown when clicking in the status bar no longer displays the free heap space.
- File/Acquire/Raw handles out of memory situations better.
- Fixed a bug that caused some tiff files to be displayed with inverted pixels.
- Fixed a bug that caused a null pointer exception when using Plot Profile with no current selection.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a null pointer exception when using the Rotate 90 Degrees Right/Left commands.
V 0.96, 23-November-98
- Made the ImageJ window slightly wider so lines displayed by the Measurement command are less likely to be split.
- Added a constructor to the ImagePlus class for creating an ImagePlus given an ImageProcessor.
- Changed the order of the arguments in the ShortProcessor and FloatProcessor constructors to be consistent with the ByteProcessor and ColorProcessor constructors.
- Fixed a thread synchronization bug that could sometimes cause ImageJ to hang when closing a window.
- Fixed a bug that caused the drawing color of 8-bit images to be set to 254 instead of 255.
- Fixed a bug that caused a null pointer exception when clicking on a 16-bit or 32-bit image with the dropper tool.
V 0.95, 19-November-98
- The Plug-Ins/"Show Display Speeds" command was updated to include results for JDK 1.2. The results show that the crucial drawImage method is up to 22 times slower compared to JDK 1.1.7. To encourage Sun to fix this problem, vote for bug 4185726 ("JDK 1.2rc1 drawImage very slow (50% slower) compared to JDK 1.1.7") on the Bug Parade. ImageJ is not going to run well under JDK 1.2 until this problem is fixed.
- Added the "Waves" plug-in that continuously applies a sine wave to the x-coordinates of an image. Click on the image or press the escape key to stop. This plug-in is useful as a benchmark (it displays the frame rate), as a way to demonstrate ImageJ's multi-tasking ability, and as an example of a plug-in that processes both 8-bit and RGB images.
- Added a "Transformations" sub-menu to the Image menu and moved the "Flip Vertical" and "Flip Horizontal" commands into it.
- Added the "Rescale" command to the Transformations sub-menu for scaling an image to a specified width and height.
- Added commands to rotate an image 90 degrees left or right to the Transformations sub-menu.
- The "Show Benchmark Times" and "Show Display Speeds" commands no longer require that an image be open.
- Stack animation is now much faster.
- The slice selection scroll bar in stack windows now works more reliably.
- The Invert, Smooth, Find Edges, Add Noise, Despeckle and Threshold commands now operate on all the slices of a stack.
- The Reduce Noise command, a median filter, was renamed Despeckle.
- Added a public "running" flag to the ImageWindow class. Plug-ins can use this flag to terminate themselves when the user clicks on the image or presses the escape key. See /ij/plugin/filter/Waves.java for an example.
- Improved the interface used by plug-in filters. Filters must now implement the PlugInFilter interface and be in the the ij.plugin.filter package. They must also provide a setup method that ImageJ will call to determine the filters capabilities. See ij/plugin/filter/PlugInFilter.java for more information and ij/plugin/filter/Invert.java for an example.
- Added the GenericDialog class that plug-in can use to acquire multipler numeric parameters. See /ij/plugin/filter/Resizer.java for an example of how to use this new class.
- The lock method in ImagePlus beeps and displays a status bar message if the image is already locked.
- The reserve and unreserve methods in the ImagePlus class were renamed lock and unlock.
V 0.94, 21-October-98
- The File/Acquire/Raw command no longer generates extra blank slices at the end of the stack when more than the actual number of images is specified.
- Added a "Gap Between Images" field to the File/Acquire/Raw dialog box. This allows import of multi-image files with gaps between the images (e.g. uncompressed 8-bit AVI movies with a 4104 byte header and a gap of 8). Set the gap to (n-1)*width*height*2*real-gap to read every nth frame in a movie.
- Changes to RGB images made using the Image/Adjust Contrast command are now be limited to the interior of non-rectangular selections.
- The Process/Math command now works correctly with non-rectangular selections.
- The Open... command now opens BMP files with names ending in ".bmp".
- Added a command to the Save As sub-menu for saving images in JPEG format. It uses the JPEG encoder from http://www.obrador.com. Use the Edit/JPEG Quality command to specify the compression level.
- The wand tool now more reliably traces areas defined by a one pixel wide boundary line.
V 0.93, 7-October-98
- Added a constructor to the GifEncoder class for saving 8-bit AWT images.
- Added the Edit/Fonts command for specifying the font, font size and font style. For a shortcut, double-click on the Text tool in the tool bar.
- Double-clicking in the tool bar on any of the three line selection tools now brings up the set line width dialog.
- Added a "Colors..." command to the Image menu. It downloads and displays an image that can be used, in conjunction with the dropper tool, to set the drawing color. Note that holding down the alt (option) key temporarily switches to the dropper tool.
- Moved the Draw Arrow command from the PlugIns menu to the Edit menu.
- Moved the Draw Arrow command from the PlugIns menu to the Edit menu.
- Moved the Adjust Contrast command from the PlugIns menu to the Image menu.
- The Fill and Clear commands now require a selection.
- The Save As, Acquire/BMP and Acquire/Raw commands now "remember" the previously used directory.
- Worked around a JDK 1.1.7 related bug that caused a null pointer exception when using ImageJ's GetNumberDialog or GetStringDialog classes.
- Worked around a JDK 1.1.7 related bug that caused ImageJ to lock up when opening an 8-bit image.
V 0.92, 28-September-98
- Fixed several bugs in "Adjust Contrast".
- Added an "Hist." button to "Ajust Contrast" that generates a histogram and combines it with the LUT plot.
- Added an "Apply" button to "Ajust Contrast" that, for 8-bit images, makes brightness and contrast changes permanent.
- When running as an applet, the first time a command is executed, a progress bar is displayed as class files downloaded.
- The 16-bit sample image "M51 Galaxy" now displays correctly.
- Fixed a bug the that caused 16 and 32-bit images loaded over the network to become corrupted.
- It's now possible to move text selections using the arrow keys.
- Fixed a bug that could cause null pointer exceptions when generating line profiles.
V 0.91, 21-September-98
- New downloadable versions for Mac OS, Windows and UNIX are available.
- Increased the maximum heap size of the stand alone Windows version from 16MB to 64MB.
- Updated the API documention.
V 0.90, 17-September-98
- Worked around a bug in Sun's JDK/JRE 1.1.6 that caused the main ImageJ window to be too large.
- Saved gif files now reflect changes made in the Adjust Contrast window.
- Look-up table plots generated by Analyze/Show LUT now reflect changes made in the Adjust Contrast window.
- Measurement results displayed in the ImageJ window are now formatted better.
- Stacks are no longer limited to 100 slices.
- Added "Next Slice" and "Previous Slice" commands to the Stacks sub-menu. Use the ">" and "<" keys as shortcuts.
- Added a line of text to the top of each image window that displays current slice/total slices (stacks only), width, height, type and memory size.
V 0.89, 16-September-98
- Added a text (annotation) tool. Use it to create a text rectangle, type some text, then use Edit/Draw to add the text to the Image. To draw the text on a white background, use Edit/Clear prior to Edit/Draw. To change the font size, use Edit/Font Size or double-click on the text tool. There is currently no way to select a different font or style. Text rectangles are currently limited to one line.
- Added a Draw command to the pop-up menu. To use this menu, right-click on an image (option-click on the Mac).
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused operations on non-rectangular regions in stacks to fail.
- Fixed a bug that could result in multiple checked items in the Type sub-menu after an attempt to do an unsupported conversion.
- Fixed a bug that caused images larger than the screen (e.g. a 1024x1024 image on a 640x480 screen) to be displayed incorrectly after conversion to RGBA or HSB.
- Fixed a bug that could cause null pointer exceptions when generating histograms.
- Fixed a bug that caused the line width to be set to one if "Cancel" was clicked in the Edit/Line Width dialog box.
V 0.88, 8-September-98
- Worked around a bug in SUN's JVM for Windows that could cause ImageJ to lock up when closing a window with changes.
- Updated "Plug-Ins/Show Benchmark Times" to include results for Apple's MRJ 2.1ea2.
- Fixed a bug that could cause images to become permanently locked when memory was low.
- Fixed a minor bug in the Image/Scale command. To see the bug in action, use Acquire/URL to load the image http://rsbweb.nih.gov/~wayne/ij/images/dots.gif, and then use Image/Scale to scale it by 2.
- When switching slices (channels) in RGBA or HSB stacks, the slice name ("red", "green", "blue", "hue", "saturation" or "brightness") is now displayed in the status bar.
- Removed the Image/Channel sub-menu.
V 0.87, 20-August-98
- Fixed several problems that caused Edit/Draw and Edit/Fill to use incorrect colors with in 8-bit images.
- Hold down the alt (option) key to temporarily switch to the hand (panning) tool.
- Alt-click (option-click) on an image with any tool except the magnifying glass to "pick up" a new drawing color. This is a shortcut for switching to the dropper tool, clicking on the image to select a drawing color, and then switching back to the original tool.
- The Plug-Ins menu has a new command that tests to see how fast the JVM can draw images to the screen.
V 0.86, 2-July-98
- The Benchmark plug-in has a new option that displays more times.
- Images now display much faster when running under MRJ (MacOS Runtime for Java).
- Lines rendered using the Draw command are now aligned better with the yellow ROI selection.
- Worked around a problem with some versions of MRJ and Internet Explorer that caused ImageJ windows to be displayed under the the Mac menu bar.
- Fixed another problem with the Draw command.
V 0.85, 22-June-98
- Released new standalone versions for Mac OS8 and Windows. Reverted back to using JRE 1.1.5 with the Windows version because JRE 1.1.6 has a bug that causes ImageJ to hang when quiting with unsaved windows.
- The Draw command works again.
- Fixed a null pointer exception error (introduced in 0.83) that followed the "There are no Images open." dialog.
V 0.84, 19-June-98
- New stand alone versions for Mac OS8 and Windows are available. The Mac version include source code and a Metrowerks CodeWarrior project file. The Windows version includes the source and Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.1.6. There is also a much smaller ZIP file containing the class files and source but not the JRE.
- Updated the API documentation.
V 0.83, 18-June-98
- Stacks can now be saved as tiff files.
- 8-bit multi-image tiff files open as stacks if the images are all the same size.
- The File/New command will now create 8-bit stacks.
- Added an Image/Stacks submenu with commands to start/stop stack animation.
- The Image/GetInfo command now displays "(inverted LUT)" for images with inverted look-up tables and, for stacks, displays the current slice number.
- Fixed a bug that caused Edit/Clear to erase to black instead of white for images with inverted LUTs.
- Added buttons to histogram windows that allow histogram values to be saved to a text file or copied to the system clipboard.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused an array bounds exceptions when generating histograms of 32-bit real images.
V 0.82, 5-June-98
- "Adjust Contrast" now changes the brightness and contrast of 8-bit images by updating the image's look-up table rather than its pixel values. This is particularly nice when working with stacks since brightness and contrast changes apply to all the slices in the stack.
- Added two sample stacks to the Open menu. "MRI Stack" is a 3D MRI head scan consisting of 27 186x226 axial slices and "Scala Media Stack" is a 36 frame 3D movie of the scala media volume within the cochlea of the moustached bat.
- Three of the larger sample images (Boats, Bridge and Gel) now download more reliably as a result of being converted from gifs to tiffs.
- The FileOpener class now supports URLs and can open 8-bit stacks.
- Acquire/Raw can now import multi-image 8-bit files.
- Windows with multiple images (stacks) now have a scrollbar for selecting the image to be displayed. To see how this works, convert a color image to ARGB (alpha, red, green, blue) or to HSB (hue, saturation, brightness).
V 0.81, 14-May-98
- Improved the DICOM plug-in so it now opens some aberrant GE MRI scans.
- Copying text from the ImageJ window to the Clipboard now works more reliably.
- Measurement results displayed in the ImageJ window are now tab-delimited so they can be easily pasted into a spreadsheet.
- Moved the buttons in the profile plot window from the right side of the window to the bottom.
- Fixed a problem with the "Copy" (to Clipboard) option in the profile plot window.
- Moved the "Save XY Coordinates" and "Fractal Box Counter" plug-ins from the Plug-ins menu to the new Process/Fractals submenu.
- The "Fractal Box Counter" now allows you to specify the box sizes and the results are now tab-delimited.
V 0.80, 11-May-98
- The run() method plug-ins are required to implement is now passed a String instead of an ImagePlus. Plug-ins that need an ImagePlus object can call WindowManager.getCurrentImage(). One plug-in that used this new feature is URLOpener, which ImageJ uses to open the sample images in the Open submenu.
- Changed the name of the URL plug-in to URLOpener.
- The Acquire/Raw and Math commands now "remember" the popup menu selection.
- Added a 16-bit image of the M51 galaxy to the Open submenu. As an exercise, try using Adjust Contrast to bring out detail in the galaxy. One useful trick is to select a region of interest and click on the "Auto" button.
- Zoomed images now expand to fill the window as the window is enlarged.
V 0.79, 1-May-98
- Resize rectangular selections by clicking and dragging the little box in the lower right corner.
- Resize rectangular and oval selections by holding down the the option (alt) key and using the arrow keys.
- Added a "Save Changes" dialog that is displayed when closing windows or quitting.
- The Save command is now an alias for "Save as Tiff..." instead of "Save as Gif...".
V 0.78, 21-Apr-98
- The "Adjust Contrast" plug-in is now multi-threaded to provide a more responsive user interface.
- Added the wand tool. This tool automatically selects image areas with identical pixel values.
- Fixed a problem with the interactive display of pixel values of zoomed RGB images.
- Double-clicking in the toolbar now works more reliably. Currently you can double-click on the line tool to set the line width and on the zoom tool to unzoom.
V 0.77, 3-Apr-98
- Added a plug-in (Acquire/URL) for opening GIF and JPEG images using a URL.
- Added a class (GetStringDialog) that prompts the user for a string.
- Converted the MessageDialog, MessageWithCancelDialog and GetNumberDialog classes to the Java 1.1 event model.
- Added Select All and Select None commands.
- Moved the Restore Selection command to the Edit menu and renamed it Restore Selection.
- Profile plots are now larger for larger selections.
- Added buttons to profile plots windows that allow the plot data to be saved to a text file or copied to the system clipboard.
- Updated the API documentation.
V 0.76, 31-Mar-98
- Added a plug-in for displaying 8, 16 and 32-bit FITS (Flexible Image Transport System) images.
- Fixed a problem with ROI histograms of 16 and 32-bit grayscale images.
- Fixed several image zooming and scrolling problems.
- Added a plug-in for drawing arrows.
- White (255,255,255) backgrounds are no longer changed to (248,248,248) when converting from RGB to 8-bit color.
- File extensions are automatically changed when saving images in a different format.
- Added a plug-in for adjusting the brightness and contrast and of all supported image types.
V 0.75, 17-Mar-98
- Fixed an array bounds exception bug when using Enhance Contrast or Threshold with non-rectangular selections.
- Fixed a bug that allowed freehand ROIs to extend beyond the left or top edge of the image.
- Added a plug-in for displaying DICOM images. DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) is an image file format widely used in the medical imaging community.
- Replaced the incomplete images at ftp://codon.nih.gov/pub/image-j/images.
- The DICOM plug-in dumps the DICOM tags (group, element, length, explicit VR) if debugging is enabled.
- Added a plug-in for displaying uncompressed BMP images.
- Added Acquire submenu for acquisition plug-ins such as the new DICOM and BMP plug-ins.
- Changed Import command to a plug-in and moved it to the Acquire submenu.
V 0.74, 9-Mar-98
- Three tools were added for creating straight, segmented and freehand line selections. Use the Draw command to draw the line. Use Measure to measure its length. Use Plot Profile to plot the pixel values along a straight line selection. To measure an angle, create a two-segment line selection and use the Measure command. Use the arrow keys to move line selections one pixel at a time.
- A server bug was fixed that sometimes caused larger demo images such as "Boats" and "Bridge" to be downloaded incorrectly.
- The status bar was moved to the top of the "ImageJ" window.
- The new eyedropper tool "picks up" colors from image windows for use by the Draw and Fill commands.
- A working JIT compiler is included with the standalone Win32 version.
V 0.73, 2-Mar-98
- The Open command dumps TIFF tags to the Java console if debugging is enabled.
- The "Lena" benchmark example times were updated.
- The new "Draw" command outlines the ROI using the current color and line width. Note that this doesn't work yet with oval ROIs and there is currently no way to set the color.
- Use the new "Line Width..." command, or double-click on the line tool, to set the line width.
V 0.72, 24-Feb-98
- Keyboard shortcuts (without command or control) now work when the ImageJ window is active.
- The "click on status bar to display memory used" feature works more reliably.
- The ImageJ and IP_Demo classes were converted to the Java 1.1 event model.
- Potential thread deadlock problem with the "IP Demo" plug-in fixed.
- The "IP Demo" plug-in works with multiple images.
- You can now quit the "IP Demo" plug-in by clicking on its close box.
V 0.71, 19-Feb-98
- The "Save as Gif..." command now uses the GifEncoder class by Jef Poskanzer(http://www.acme.com). This GifEncoder is more reliable than the one previously used and it adds support for interlaced and transparent GIFs, although these features are currently not supported by ImageJ.
- Added a simple example plug-in (Prototype PlugIn) that inverts grayscale images.
- The ImageJ source code was divided into five packages: imagej, imagej.gui, imagej.process, imagej.io, and imagej.plugin.
- The API documentation was updated.
V 0.70, 10-Feb-98
- The New command now has a dialog box for specifing the name, size and content of newly created images.
- The ImageWindow, ImageCanvas and ImportDialog classes were converted to the Java 1.1 event model.
V 0.63, 4-Feb-98
- Support was added for cut, copy and paste of rectangular image selections. Support is limited to ImageJ's internal clipboard. Images cannot be copied to or from other programs.
- Image windows now have a popup menu accessed using control-click on the Mac and right-click on PCs. This menu can be customized by editing the ij.properties file.
- Keyboard shortcuts work without holding down the control key when an image window is active.
- Use the keys "1" through "4" to switch image channels.
- When switching channels, the channel name ("Red", "Hue", etc.) is displayed in the status bar.
V 0.62, 30-Jan-98
- "Clear" now erases to white and "Fill" fills with black on images with inverted look-up tables.
- ROI outlines are now more precisely drawn on magnified images whose width or height is not evenly dividable by the magnification factor.
- A bug, introduced in v0.56, was fixed that prevented memory from being reclaimed when closing the last remaining image window.
- A bug was fixed that prevented ROI outlines from being moved all the way to the right or bottom edge of an image.
- A bug was fixed that caused operations to fail on images that had been duplicated using the Duplicate command.
V 0.61, 28-Jan-98
- A plug-in was added that uses the "box counting" method to make measurements that allows one to calculate the fractal dimension of an object.
- Text displayed in the ImageJ window can be selected and copied to the system clipboard. Note that this may not work when ImageJ is running as an applet due to security restrictions.
- Stack traces due to run-time exceptions are now displayed in the ImageJ window.
- Run-time exceptions such as array bounds errors no longer leave the active image in a locked state.
V 0.60, 21-Jan-98
- The file open dialog box is now more likely to "remembers" the directory.
- The window title is used as the default file name in the "Save as" dialog box.
- Scrolling tool (looks like a hand) added.
- Use function keys to select tools.
- Values displayed by the Measure command are rounded and better formatted.
V 0.59, 13-Jan-98
- ImageJ now requires a Java 1.1 virtual machine such as Sun's JDK 1.1.x, Netscape Navigator 4 with the
JDK 1.1 patch (PC only), Internet Explorer 4 (Mac and PC), or MacOS Runtime for Java 2.0.
- Horizontal scrollbar in ImageJ window is never used.
- Keyboard shortcuts are shown in menus.
- "Print" command added.
- Zoom magnifications less than one are now supported.
- "About..." command moved to standard help menu on Macs.
- Integer pixel values now displayed in status bar without decimal points.
- A number formating problem in the Rotate dialog box was fixed.
- Status bar messages are now displayed using 12-point "SansSerif" font.
- New image windows are positioned slightly offset from the previous window.
- Images larger than the screen are scaled to fit.
- Image windows increase/decrease in size as needed when zooming.
V 0.58, 22-Dec-97
- Six more sample images were added.
- The location and names of the sample images are now read from a file named ij.properties.
- A plug-in was added that saves to a text file the x,y coordinates of black pixels in binary images.
- A plug-in was added that displays the Java system properties.
- The progress bar has a new 3D look.
- Attempts to filter 8-bit indexed color images cause an error message to be displayed.
V 0.57, 4-Dec-97
- "Window" menu added.
- Keyboard shortcuts work more reliably.
- The RGB to 8-bit color conversion dialog is now dismissed more quickly..
- Keyboard shorcuts added for Enhance Contrast (Shift^E) and Threshold (Shift^T)
- The revert command now works with images opened using Open... and with imported raw images.
V 0.56, 20-Nov-97
- The new Measure command (control-1 or just 1) calculates and displays the pixel count, mean, standard deviation, and min and max pixel value. Note that results are truncated, rather than rounded. This will be fixed in a future version.
- The new Restore Outline command restores the previous ROI outline or, when switching windows, transfers an outline from one window to another.
- The arrow keys now move ROI outlines.
- The Measure and Histogram commands now work with non-rectangular selections on 16 and 32-bit grayscale images.
V 0.55, 14-Nov-97
- Filters no longer automatically convert 8-bit indexed color images to 32-bit RGB images.
- All menu commands now run in a separate thread.
- The Find Edges, Reduce Noise, Enhance Contrast and Threshold commands now work with RGB images.
- The Enhance Contrast and Threshold commands now work correctly with non-rectangular selections.
- ImageJ now compiles without error using the JDK 1.1.4 Java compiler. The command "javac ImageJ.java" compiles all the classes except for plug-ins.
- Enhance Contrast now continues to increase contrast when used repeatedly.
V 0.54, 5-Nov-97
- Get Info now displays the amount of memory used by ImageJ in kilobytes. You can also view this value by clicking on the status bar at the bottom of the ImageJ window.
- Window and memory management are improved.
- More information is displayed in the debug mode.
- The Memory_Test plug-in displays a warning dialog box.
- The applet version of ImageJ was moved to a faster server so images and class files should now load faster.
V 0.53, 29-Oct-97
- A magnifying glass tool was added to the toolbar. Click on an image to zoom in. Option-click or right-click to zoom out. Double-click on the magnifying glass icon to reset the image. Eight magnification levels are available: 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, 16:1, 32:1 and 64:1.
- The outlining tools work on zoomed images. As an exercise, try outlining a single pixel with each of the four outlining tools.
V 0.52, 21-Oct-97
- The memory requirements of the 3x3 neighborhood filters (Smooth, Sharpen, etc.) were reduced. They now require free memory equal to 2 times the image size instead of 3 times.
- An error message is now displayed when OutOfMemoryError exceptions occur.
- Use the "Memory_Test" plug-in to see how will your JVM handles low memory situations. It will open as many 1024x1024x8-bit images as possible and then attempt to calculate how much memory was used for each image. This is a demanding test that may require ImageJ to be restarted, may crash your browser, or may even crash your machine.
V 0.51, 17-Oct-97
- A toolbar with four outlining tools was added.
- The status bar and progress bar were moved to the bottom of the ImageJ window.
- The cursor changes to a crosshair if it's inside an image window and not inside an ROI.
- Holding the shift key down constrains selections to be square.
- The Smooth and Sharpen filters no longer ignore ROIs on color images.
V 0.50, 23-Sep-97
- ImageJ's functionality can now be expanded via plug-in class files that are automatically installed in the Plug-Ins (formerly Special) menu. This version is supplied with five example plug-ins: Benchmark, IPDemo_PlugIn, PlugIn_Macro, Thread_Lister and Timer. The Java source code for these plug-ins is in the ImageJ source folder. Future versions will allow plug-ins to be installed in any menu.
- Filters and the built-in benchmark now run as separate threads. You can now run two or more benchmarks at the same time!
- The entire image is no longer redrawn when ROIs are created or moved.
- "Plot Profile" command added.
- Histograms of 16 and 32-bit images now correctly labeled
- Save grayscale (8, 16 and 32-bit) and color (8 and 24-bit) images as TIFF
V 0.46 and Earlier
- Save byte, short, float and RGB images as raw data
- Open uncompressed TIFF files
- Now works with JDK 1.1.x and Hot Java 1.0
- Progress bar when downloading images and class files
- Support for 32-bit real images
- Progress bar for filters
- Import raw 8 and 16 bit images
- Support for 16-bit (signed) images
- Cursor location and value of pixel at that location are dynamically displayed
- Pixel values and counts dynamically displayed in the Histogram window
- Histogram command works correctly with indexed color images
- Convert RGB color to 8-bit indexed color
- Keyboard shortcuts using the Control key. ^N=New, ^O=Open, ^K=Open Color Lena, ^L=Open Lena, ^W=Close, ^S=Save As,
^R=Revert, ^D=Duplicate, ^I=Get Info, ^Z=Undo, ^F=Fill, E^=Scale, ^H=Histogram. You may need to click on a window to get
- Close, Save As (GIF) and Revert commands
- New prototype macro in Special menu
- Convert color images to RGB (red, green and blue) or HSB (hue, saturation and brightness)
- Convert color to grayscale